The Overall UK Winner of the GTBS Goldstar 2013
for Guest Accommodation
Our Green Credentials
Hedgehog Corner already has the annually inspected Gold Award from Green Tourism in Business and was chosen by The Sunday Times for inclusion in the Going Green Category of "The Full English: The Top 100 Finest Places to Stay in England". Wildlife Friendly Certificate of Merit 2013.
Supporting Devon Environmental Business Initiative Member
The Green Business inspector's comments from his most recent visit were: "The site was a pleasure to revisit and quite inspirational in terms of the amount of work that Joy has undertaken since the previous assessment - nearly all the recommendations from last time have really been taken on board".
Our new Electric Car Charge Point for Guests to Use Free of Charge!
We are delighted with our latest green initiative for guests use.
In fact our next car will be an electric one so we too can benefit from this fantastic facility here on our premises.
Ian Crabbe of Evergreen Renewable Energy based in Lyme Regis came and fitted it for us - my next car will have to be electric!
5% discount using promotional code "GREEN" for those arriving using public transport.
If you travel to us by public transport we are pleased to offer you 5% discount on your booking using this code online or if booking by phone and with the presentation of a travel ticket for that journey (subject to terms and conditions - one promo per booking).
A wonderful sanctuary just along the A35 where we sponsor the racoons. Please give us an update on them when you return.
Our Wildlife Friendly Certificate of Merit 2013
Delighted to have received this at Hedgehog Corner from The Lyme Regis Gardens Competition Judges this year for our lavender beds for bees, logs for wildlife habitat and bird feeders and nesting boxes amongst other features which you can see when you stay.
Green Statement and Policy
At Hedgehog Corner we are committed to preserving the quality of our Area of Outstanding Beauty. We have forged excellent relationships with our suppliers and continue to explore ways of improving our good practice, reduce costs and improve efficiency in all areas wherever possible.
We have recently installed 2 solar photovaltaic systems on the roofs and at our family self-catering cottage Goodlands using local exemplary firm www.evergreenrenewableenergy.co.uk
- We are committed to meeting legislative requirements.
- We love this part of Devon on the border with Dorset here on the World Heritage Jurassic Coast and are striving to look after it for future generations.
- We hope you enjoy your visit to this Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty as much as we enjoy living here.
- We do our utmost to keep the area beautiful for everybody. Much of what makes this place special is the history and unspoiled beauty of its natural landscape.
- We are signed up to the Green Tourism Business Scheme www.green-business.co.uk which is backed by Visit England.
- We have recently installed an electric car charging point for our guests to use.
- Joy has undertaken a training course in Green Awareness with Global Action Plan's Senior Sustainable Business Consultant Alistair Mumford and has taken part in further courses with Sustainability South West.
- We are committed to reducing pollution where possible with particular attention to removing ragwort immediately if spotted in our fields and on verges.
- Joy regularly takes a bin liner and picks up roadside rubbish thrown from cars between our front entrance and the bus stop on the A35.
- Water butts are placed all around the properties.
- We now have an electric car charging point for guests use.
We have moved over to ethical and eco friendly products wherever possible. Light bulbs are replaced. More purchases, particularly from the "Ecover" and "Bio" range for the running and care of our properties (i.e. loo roll, kitchen rolls, paper and cleaning products) are being bought from the ethical superstore www.ethicalsuperstore.com. We also support www.climatecare.org who have a small donation every time we shop with the Ethical Superstore.
There is a shop in Lyme Regis "ECO Logical" which our visitors may like to visit along with the Town Mill which sells their own ground floor, The Town Mill Cheesemonger has an incredible range of cheese and fresh fish is available from The Old Watch House on the Cobb.
Toiletries in our Bathrooms
Ecossential Elements moisturizer, soap and shower gel are based on natural and organic extracts, packed in recyclable and biodegradable materials. No products are tested on animals. Soaps and liquids are enriched with organic Aloe Vera.
Local Produce used at the B&B - full food miles on the Breakfast Menu page
- We support Taste of the West www.tasteofthewest.co.uk
- Farmer Ody the milkman supplies free range eggs. Milk and cream is from the Yarty Valley Devon Dairy only 10 miles away.
- We support and encourage guests to visit Millers Farm Shop just along the road.
- Wessex Flour Mill supply a range of flours for our home made bread with home made marmalade & Hedgehog Preserves..
- Biscuits are from the local Moores Biscuit Shop where you can visit their farm shop in Morecombelake just 5 minutes drive along the A35.
- "Clipper" of Beaminster, just 20 minutes away, supply our organic and Fairtrade teas & coffee, sugar.We have also started using "Lyme Bay Coffee" ground coffee so you have a choice.
- Four Elms Fruit Farm from nearby Sidmouth supply the apple juice found in your breakfast basket on arrival.
Joy sources all her products for her organic home-mix Muesli from Ganesha Wholefood shop in Axminster. We have a water softener at Hedgehog Corner and it is safe to drink for drinking water.The Kinetico water softener is extremely economical for us in that we don't get lime scale and you won't need as much soap. Softened water has a silky feel and helps keep our heating system clear. Even our mattresses are made in the UK.
The central heating and Heatsave raditators have thermostatic valves so you can adjust your heat accordingly. The property is double glazed with insulation in the roof and pipes are well lagged to stop energy escaping. Many of our appliances, including the boiler, are relatively new and thus energy efficient.
We have a Quooker (kitchen tap) in the for instant energy efficient instant boiling water in Acorns and our home - standby cost 3p per day! We highly recommend this product and happy to give a demonstration for anyone interested in buying one.
The toilets have twin flushes – the smaller button for the short flush – or are modern 6 litre flushes.
We are pleased to have recently installed PV Solar Panels to reduce our electrical consumption.
Linen is line dried where practicable.
Opposite is a photograph of the bird feeder in the garden. For the wildlife we have a wonderful natural habitat with pure meadow grass. In the field are foxes, badgers, deer and rabbits which can all be spotted. There are bird feeders dotted around the grounds with flora and fauna that has been undisturbed for years. We sponsor the racoons at Axe Valley Bird and Animal Park which is nearby and encourage visitors to the Axe Valley Wetlands a local Council conservation initiative.
We have an approved private contractor Viridor. Certain criteria have to be met by both parties regarding our waste disposal. Our brown water waste goes to our own garden Klargester bio digester which clarifies the waste which then runs to the ditch. Eco friendly laundry products are provided for your use (Bio liquid/Ecover) and we avoid bleach which upsets the tanks natural working process. We also make good use of the clothes and shoes recycling and charity bins provided by the council in local car parks and recycle worn sheets and towels too!
Local photographer Nigel Cook's work feature with local artist Hilary Buckley's paintings and pastels at Goodlands our holiday cottage. This is Hilary's version of nearby Comer Hill on the road to Bridport..
We have an online booking system which reduces the need for some paper and postal services.
Hedgehog Holly - the Illex aquifoliurn ferox Argentea which is the spiny cream-margined leaves and also known as 'Hedgehog Holly' - the ferox in Latin meaning fierce! There is some in various spots around Hedgehog Corner.
and Cowslips in the garden
Useful information for seeing nature first hand.
Dodpen and Woodhouse Riding Stables See our news article for more information and contact details
Walking in the area See www.dorsetforyou.com for information on over 3,000 miles of footpaths
BikeTrails See Marshwood Trails, you won't need to worry about hills on one of their incredible electric bikes as they provide assistance just when you need it.
Lyme Regis Cycles Open 7 days a week, 8am - 8pm based in nearby Lyme Regis, cycle hire, purchase, servicing & repairs. 07522 799242 www.lymeregiscycles.co.uk
We hope you have enjoyed reading our contribution on an increasingly important subject.